6/15/08

Tim Russert dies at 58 - SUNDAY MORNINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!



For those of you that aren't news junkies like myself the news may not have hit you hard when word got out that Tim Russert, longtime host of Meet The Press died of a massive heart attack at the age of 58.

Being the cynical person that I am, I normally don't get too emotional when personalities die - especially white ones - but this time I really felt bad. I shouldn't brag about this but I've spent more Sunday mornings with Russert than I have at church. As a matter of fact, Meet The Press for me, was like church and politics like my religion. Dude was only 58 and I was hoping he would live long enough to say, "Barack Obama has become the first Black President Of The United States Of America."

Listen, the last time I cried when a politician died was when Ronald Reagan died. Of course those were tears of joy so it's a bit different from this sadness. I didn't cry but I felt bad for this man that seemed to always be fair. No matter if you were Black, white, liberal or conservative he always seemed to come with questions that you had to answer if you wanted the position you were seeking. So on Father's day let's pour out a little liquor and put a blunt in the air for the man that made me know Big Russ and Lucas. Rest In Peace, Tim because now forever if it's Sunday it's...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think any of us are news junkies like you, but I will say that I have experienced his interviews, and I can agree that he approached difficult situations with a calm like no other. He will be missed, but I don't believe as much in the Black community as R. Kelly who should have already been hung from a tree somewhere.